Binary upgrade from legacy version + ports

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Jul 28 15:31:25 UTC 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 2:52 AM, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

> Svein wrote:
> > Is there a problem using the prebuilt packages from STABLE on a
> > RELEASE box? If I want to run RELEASE, and still use the latest
> > packages? The ABI is consistent between STABLE and RELEASE, right?
>
> Yes, there is a problem. See my posting here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-June/177553.html
>
> Unfortunatelly, I have not got an answer, but it is obvious packages
> using this new symbol must fail:

I recently discovered this through a blunder of my own.  I accidently
"updated" a 7-STABLE machine to 7-RELEASE, and discovered, among some
other problems, that sudo failed with the same error you report.

(I've now put a link to USE-THIS-SUPFiLE to stable-supfile in /usr/
local/etc/cvsup to avoid the blunder in the future.)

-j