Binary upgrade from legacy version

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Sat Jul 26 12:11:54 UTC 2008

Hi, list!

I want to upgrade two freebsd machines I have from 6.1-SECURITY and
5.3-RELEASE respectively, to the latest 7.0 release of FreeBSD. I
don't want to cvsup and build, but prefer to use prebuilt binaries.
Also I'd like to avoid wiping the systems, and starting afresh.

I know this might break my systems and are willing to take the risk.
I also reqognize that I probably have to rebuild a lot of ports
afterwards.

What steps do I take to increase my probablity of success? How do I
do this the cleanest way possible? Could I just get all the
distfiles and put them on top of my old system? How do I find files
that are to be deleted from the old system?

	sv.