Core(TM)2 Quad and TOP output

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:39:12 UTC 2008

> I have new server(webserver) quad core but performans is not well (according
> our old webserver pent IV ). Maybe its performans depends on our web page
> sourcecode. FreeBSD 6.3 stable is running on it. dmesg is in below.

Can you provide some more detail here? How is it slower? Serving less
clients? The load (from your top snapshot) is nearly 0 and there isn't
much of a memory load on the box either.

> 1-I wonder in my TOP output can I see all CPU or not?
>

> last pid: 19887;  load averages:  0.13,  0.04,  0.01     up 2+21:18:18
> 16:53:16
> 48 processes:  1 running, 47 sleeping
> CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% idle
> Mem: 119M Active, 352M Inact, 126M Wired, 48K Cache, 112M Buf, 1401M Free
> Swap: 5120M Total, 5120M Free

Run top with the -S option, and you will see the "idle" process for
each core/CPU. The CPU: line there is an aggregate of all processors
in the system.

If you're in doubt:

sysctl hw.ncpu

Or run:

mptable

> 2-FreeBSD 7.0 has got default multiprocessor generic kernel??? since during
> installations only one generic kernel shown

Yes, 7.0 includes SMP by default in GENERIC.

> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
>  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3

There you go, it's seeing all 4 cores.

The system is seeing all of them, so your real question is likely -
why is this not performing as well as my old box? We need more details
to answer that.

Regards,
Josh