Core(TM)2 Quad and TOP output

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:36:19 UTC 2008

tethys ocean wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have new server(webserver) quad core but performans is not well (according
> our old webserver pent IV ). Maybe its performans depends on our web page
> sourcecode. FreeBSD 6.3 stable is running on it. dmesg is in below.
>

> 1-I wonder in my TOP output can I see all CPU or not?
>

> last pid: 19887;  load averages:  0.13,  0.04,  0.01     up 2+21:18:18
> 16:53:16
> 48 processes:  1 running, 47 sleeping
> CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% idle
> Mem: 119M Active, 352M Inact, 126M Wired, 48K Cache, 112M Buf, 1401M Free
> Swap: 5120M Total, 5120M Free

You can.  There is a "C" column in the output of top, indicating which
process runs in which CPU.
Your dmesg already shows all your CPUs are activated.

> and also another question is
>
> 2-FreeBSD 7.0 has got default multiprocessor generic kernel??? since during
> installations only one generic kernel shown

In 6.X versions, there were two different GENERIC kernels, one for SMP,
the other for single CPU. Starting with 7.0, there is only one GENERIC
kernel that supports both SMP and single processor systems. AFAIK, in
7.0 using an SMP-enabled kernel in a single CPU system does not
introduce any real performance penalty, so no need to recompile just for
this.