CVSup update or upgrade

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Jan 31 18:40:57 PST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 02:21:42 +0000 (UTC)
Jona Joachim <jaj at hcl-club.lu> wrote:

> On 2008-02-01, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:47:12 -0500
> > Allen <doomnix at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've been reading over my library of FreeBSD books, which I may
> >> add is impressive due to me buying EVERY book available on
> >> Freebsdmall and also buying the PowerPak to make sure my Library
> >> is complete, and also I've been reading the freebsd.org docs
> >> because I'm working on getting an upgrade to work properly.
> >>
> >> Here is what happened:
> >>
> >> I did as the website said and changed the cvsup example file which
> >> is the one I'm using, to a FreeBSD cvsup server, left most of it
> >> alone, because I wanted to use most packages, so I wanted
> >> basically every app available, and when rebooting, after doing
> >> this:
> >>
> >> # make buildworld
> >> # make buildkernel
> >> # make installkernel
> >> # reboot
> >
> > Assuming you went from 6.3-RELEASE to 6.3-STABLE and also assuming
> > you do not have customization in /etc - here's what I do...
> >
> > After a cvsup of the src tree (ensuring I want the STABLE branch
> > (*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6)
> >
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make buildworld
> > # make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC (Assuming you use GENERIC)
> > # make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC (Assuming you use GENERIC)
> > # shutdown -r now (no need for Single-User Mode if YOU are the only
> > user)
>
> Sorry but you're giving wrong advice here.
> *Always* drop to single user mode.
> You are almost never the only user on your machine when you're in
> multiuser mode. There will at least be root an your user account and
> probably others.

I'm not giving advice - I'm simply stating what *I* do. See my words
below.

> > Assuming you went from 6.3-RELEASE to 6.3-STABLE and also assuming
> > you do not have customization in /etc - here's what I do...

Note the "here's what I do..." That does not sound like I'm advising
any user to do what I do - only stating things based on my experiences.

... as to Single-User mode and mergemaster, here again, I can only
comment on what I do and my experiences. I myself have never had a
system failure due to not running mergemaster. Furthermore, I have
never had issues not booting into Single-User mode to update my boxen.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

--
Best regards,
Chris

The lines are all busy (busied out, that is -- why let them in to begin
with?).