CVSup update or upgrade

Jona Joachim jaj at hcl-club.lu
Thu Jan 31 18:25:05 PST 2008

On 2008-02-01, Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:47:12 -0500
> Allen <doomnix at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been reading over my library of FreeBSD books, which I may add is
>> impressive due to me buying EVERY book available on Freebsdmall and
>> also buying the PowerPak to make sure my Library is complete, and
>> also I've been reading the freebsd.org docs because I'm working on
>> getting an upgrade to work properly.
>>
>> Here is what happened:
>>
>> I did as the website said and changed the cvsup example file which is
>> the one I'm using, to a FreeBSD cvsup server, left most of it alone,
>> because I wanted to use most packages, so I wanted basically every app
>> available, and when rebooting, after doing this:
>>
>> # make buildworld
>> # make buildkernel
>> # make installkernel
>> # reboot
>
> Assuming you went from 6.3-RELEASE to 6.3-STABLE and also assuming you
> do not have customization in /etc - here's what I do...
>
> After a cvsup of the src tree (ensuring I want the STABLE branch
> (*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6)
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC (Assuming you use GENERIC)
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC (Assuming you use GENERIC)
> # shutdown -r now (no need for Single-User Mode if YOU are the only
> user)

Sorry but you're giving wrong advice here.
*Always* drop to single user mode.
You are almost never the only user on your machine when you're in multiuser
mode. There will at least be root an your user account and probably others.

> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld
> # shutdown -r now
>
> NOTE: I don't use mergemaster unless I go from say 6.3 to 7.0

*Always* use mergemaster. Default configuration is constantly changing slightly.
It never happened to me that mergemaster had nothing to and I upgrade somewhat
regularly. Not running mergemaster will sooner or later result in a broken
system. It can be argued whether `mergemaster -p` has to be run everytime but
just run it, it will never hurt you.
I really recommend following the handbook step by step for this task unless you
know exactly what you're doing.

>> I booted in single user mode and tried this:
>>
>> # mergemaster -p
>> # make installworld
>> # mergemaster
>> # reboot
>>
>> Now, this wouldn't work for some reason or another, but the system
>> seemed to be doing just fine. I did uname -a and sure enough I had
>> 6.3 Stable going. However, when typing kdm to load up that so I can
>> use a gui, it no longer loads, at all, it pops up for a split second
>> to just stop totally, and then gives me a message about the hostname.
>
> See above for your RELENG Tag
>

>> I thought it was odd, and XDM actually loads, but won't load X
>> itself as it too goes out with errors about hostname.
>
> You may need to update your ports tree and your installed packages
> since you went to STABLE
>
>> I don't have the exact message which I know is bad form on my part,
>> but I decided to just try updating again as I was kind of wondering
>> what RELEASE is like instead of stable.
>
> STABLE is the security fix branch.
>
> *snip*
>
> Someone else may follow up the rest with you.

Best regards,
Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns