Apache Error Authentication (Nagios)

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jan 31 05:00:33 PST 2008

David Alanis wrote:

> Good Day:
>
> First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone for providing a
> fantastic mailing list. Today I happen to need assistance from you
> all. What is happening is I installed apache and nagios on my
> firewall. However, when I go to login to nagios I get the username
> and  password prompt but I am unable to login I apologize for the very
> long  e-mail). I did some research online but found nothing too much
> helpful. Thank you in advanced!
>
> #Error Message from httpd-errors
> [Wed Jan 30 22:12:58 2008] [error] [client 67.190.229.227] access to
> /nagios/cgi-bin/tac.cgi failed, reason: require directives present
> and  no Authoritative handler.

What does your .htaccess file in /usr/local/www/nagios/cgi-bin look like?

Here's an example:

AuthName "Nagios"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/nagios/htpasswd.nagios
require valid-user

Same goes for /usr/local/www/nagios.

You need to actually set up the AuthUserFile using htpasswd (part of
apache).

 From your httpd.conf

# Nagios
ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin /usr/local/www/nagios/cgi-bin
<Directory "/usr/local/www/nagios/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all