packaging a metaport

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 23:56:02 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:14:06PM -0500, Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'd like to compile and install xorg and gnome via metaports on a
>  machine, making packages out of the entire process, including
>  dependencies.  My goal is to have a tarball that i can take to
>  other machines, extract it and do a pkg_add * and have xorg and
>  gnome installed via packages vs.  recompiling the port. I tried a
>  make package but that doesn't work with metaports, and make
>  package-recursive doesn't happen either.
>  Thanks.
>  Dave.

You could have a go with portupgrade using the p and r options. I
don't think it will work with the metaports but you could do something
like:

# portupgrade -Nvpr xf86-video-nv-2.1.6

A word of warning though:

$ pkg_info -r xf86-video-nv-2.1.6 | wc -l
      90

and gnome:

$ pkg_info -r gnome-icon-theme-2.20.0_1 | wc -l
      95

You could again use portupgrade with the PP option to install your
packages on the target machine.

The way I'd do it, is use portupgrade with the PP and r options to do
the original install and then just copy over the downloaded packages
to the target machines. It would save on compilation time.

--

 Frank

 Contact info: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/contact.html