packaging a metaport

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at riderway.com
Mon Jan 21 23:36:17 PST 2008

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'd like to compile and install xorg and gnome via metaports on a
> machine, making packages out of the entire process, including dependencies.
> My goal is to have a tarball that i can take to other machines, extract it
> and do a pkg_add * and have xorg and gnome installed via packages vs.
> recompiling the port. I tried a make package but that doesn't work with
> metaports, and make package-recursive doesn't happen either.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

$ id ftp
uid=14(ftp) gid=14(ftp) groups=14(ftp)

In /etc/inetd.conf
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -4
-A -l -l -r M -s

In /etc/rc.conf
inetd_flags="-wW -l -R 1024 -C 60"
inetd_enable="YES"

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/inetd restart

In /etc/make.conf
DISTDIR=/home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles
PACKAGES=/home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-current

(change the arch and os version to match yours)

$ sudo mkdir -p /home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles
$ sudo mkdir -p /home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-current

$ cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
$ make all install package-recursive

$ cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/gnome
$ make all install package-recursive

$ ls /home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-current/Latest/

NOW, or REMOTE machines

$ export
PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.tld/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-current/Latest/

$ sudo pkg_add -r xorg
$ sudo pkg_add -r gnome

You can probably just do this for gnome and dependencies will work, but
I've never used gnome, so I can't say.

I don't have the link handy, you can google for the above information.

Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci at p6m7g8.com)
c:703.336.9354
Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/resume.txt
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.