Mirroring / Cloning FreeBSD System

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Wed Feb 27 22:47:25 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 22:43:31 FreeBSD-Utah wrote:
> I have a question on how to mirror a FreeBSD
> installation / system.
>
> This environment will have two identical / separate
> systems referred to as “System A” and “System B”
>
> -	I want to install FreeBSD on to “System A”
> -	Once that installation is complete with selected
> ports and custom applications, I want to make an exact
> duplicate of “System A” on “System B”
>
> I don’t want to do this with drives in the same
> system, rather I would like to “clone” “System A”
>
> Also, it would be nice to be able to do this as a
> “mirroring” solution to keep a clone over time of the
> system in the case of failure of either “System A” or
> “System B”
>
> Is this possible to do? If so, any direction on how I
> would do this would be welcome.

Install A, then B very minimal and rsync them (port: net/rsync). This assumes
a network between the two with different ip addresses :)

> Is there a port / application that enables this?

Pending your needs, you could try sysutils/heartbeat. But for periodical
syncs, rsync should do fine. The tricky part will be /etc/rc.conf, since
you'll need to differentiate the IP's.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.