6.3 DHCP and static_routes

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 24 23:16:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:34:54PM +0100, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> This used to work fine with 6.2, with the default route set up by the
> DHCP servers.
>
> After I upgraded to 6.3, I get no default route anymore. This is the
> relevant part of my logfile:

As of FreeBSD 6.3 dhclient supports RFC3442, the classless static route
option.  If your DHCP server is including this option but not encoding
the default route using the option you'll have no default route.

Quoted from RFC 3442:

>  If the DHCP server returns both a Classless Static Routes option and
>     a Router option, the DHCP client MUST ignore the Router option.

This is my guess as to what you're seeing.  If this doesn't solve the
issue for you, I'd suggest looking at the DHCP packets with e.g.
wireshark.

-Ed