issues with serial console output

Bogdan Ćulibrk bc at default.co.yu
Mon Feb 18 03:16:02 UTC 2008

Matthias Kellermann wrote:
| Hi list,
|
| I'm trying to install a FreeBSD system on a remote server I can only
| access via a serial console with 57600 baud.
|
| There is a Linux rescue system that I use for copying a FreeBSD HDD
| image via dd to the harddisk.
|
| To access the FreeBSD installation via remote serial console I've done
| the following things:
|
| /boot/loader.conf:
| console="vidconsole,comconsole"
| boot_multicons="YES"
| comconsole_speed="57600"
|
| /boot.config:
| -S57600 -Dh
|
| /etc/ttys:
| # only changed the following line
| ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600" vt100 on secure
|
| I can see the loader and can choose between the different choices to
| boot. After choosing the default entry all I get is this:
|
| /boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x44a7c data=0x24c0+0x1b8c
| syms=[0x4+0x7d50+0x4+0xaae0]
| lots of lines of question marks
|
| I don't get a login prompt nor the kernel messages. The console does not
| response on my keyboard. Any ideas whats wrong?
|
| Matthias

Hi there,

try using standard (also minimal) way, and that's

1. unplug your keyboard/monitor (if any)
2. -P in /boot.config
3. std.9600 in your /etc/ttys

That worked for me dozens of times. It also gives you flexibility in
case you decide to use keyboard/monitor at some point in future.

Hope that helps