IPv4 loopback address is missing, why?

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:41:39 UTC 2008

HI,

On my father's computer there isn't an IPv4 loopback address being assigned to
the lo0 interface.  What would cause this?  I've looked at his configs and
they're the same as on my system (obviously something is different, but I
don't know what).  I see in his /etc/defaults/rc.conf the "ifconfig_lo0" line
is *NOT* commented out or otherwise altered and his file looks the same as
mine (at least on this point, I haven't contrasted the two entirely).

So, why would his system not be configuring an IPv4 loopback address?  After
bootup, I can add the address manually using ifconfig.

Andy