Kernel Panic with heavy disk i/o while running on battery

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Feb 13 14:12:09 UTC 2008

"Nathan Alan Souer" <nate at nathansouer.com> writes:

> In advance, I appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. When my laptop
> is running on battery and there is heavy i/o on the disk The machine
> kernel panics and reboots. I have updated my base system to current
> (7_releng) just a couple days ago in an effort to resolve this issue, to
> no change.
>

> Here are the last few lines of the kernel panic (as read through strings):
>
> panic: initiate_write_filepage: dir inum 1576702754 != new 0
> cpuid = 0
> Uptime: 1h42m24s
> Physical memory: 1003 MB
> Dumping 147 MB: 132 116 100 84 68 52 36 20 4
>
> Should I just look into disabling acpi?

Do a test with ACPI disabled and see if you can reproduce the
problem.  It probably will make no difference, but it's worth
checking.  If it doesn't affect the outcome, then looking at
more of the panic message would be the next step.  Then doing
kernel debugging (instructions in the Handbook, I think; or
maybe the developers handbook).

Good luck.