Promise RAID array and mounting questions

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Feb 12 16:52:03 UTC 2008

At 09:48 AM 2/12/2008, Trevor Hearn wrote:
>Hi there.
>I am hoping someone can help me with my question here. I have used freeBSD
>for many years, and I am pushing into new territory. I have constructed a 16
>1tb drive array from Promise Technologies, and connected it via Fibre to a
>Dell server running FreeBSD 6.3.
>
>I can see the promise array, it shows us as DA0. The problem is what is
>listed in the Dmesg stream shows the right amount of storage space on the
>array, but when I use sysinstall, I cannot mount that space as the full
>volume. I don't know if I am missing information on what to put for
>geometry, but anything I put does not get accepted as usable.
>
>I know that there is a technique for using targets, etc, but I cannot find
>information on doing what I am doing. Well, I don't recognize it as being
>what I need. Is there someone or somewhere out there that would have
>information that would help me get to the destination I seek?
>
>Thanks!
>

>-Trevor Hearn

Trevor,

I've used promise's hardware in the past.  When I have, I defined the array
outside FreeBSD.  When I installed FreeBSD it saw the array as just a
single disk volume, which I partitioned in the sysinstall process.

Do you have the array already created?  What are you seeing in sysinstall
when you go to partition the volume?

         -Derek

believed to be clean.