libicui18n.so.36 not found, required by "evolution"

E. J. Cerejo ejcerejo at optonline.net
Tue Feb 12 01:51:47 UTC 2008

Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> E. J. Cerejo wrote:
>> Dominic Fandrey wrote:

>>> If you don't want to rebuild the stuff, just add
>>>
>>> libicui18n.so.36    libicui18n.so
>>>
>>> to your /etc/libmap.conf file. This solution works if no functions
>>> have been removed from the library interface, which only very rarely
>>> happens.
>>
>> I just ran pkg_libchk -m piped to a file but looks pretty confusing,
>> is there a way to get only the output for the lines containing
>> /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.38?
>
> I can reccomend you the -q option, which will give you a very clean
> output simply listing all the packages that have problems.
> Without the -q option the program shows its status, which is not well
> readable in a file, because it doesn't use \n but \r.
>
> That you get output with the -m/--mean flag, but not without means that
> the false positive detection is erroneous. For the time being I'd
> recommend you to use the libmap.conf solution.
> Later this day I will add some debugging functionality to the script and
> send that version to you, if you are willing to spend your time helping
> me finding this problem.

Well I'm glad to say that the output problem was just a minor problem,
the cat and grep worked fine when sending the output to the terminal and
I just copied it and pasted it into gedit.  And indeed pkg_libchk is by
far the best solution, if I was to update every package that depended on
icu I would have to update 239 packages which discouraged me right away,
by running pkg_libchk the amount of packages to be updated was reduced
to 71, wrote a quick script and left it running overnight and those
packages got updated and by god I don't have any more problems with
libicui18n.so.38.  Nice little tool.

One more question.  I see that there is no man page for pkg_libchk, how
do I find out more about its options and switches?  What command or
commands does it rely upon?