Problems with WMP54G Wireless Adapter

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Feb 9 10:51:24 UTC 2008

I am sorry Daniel, this is a known bug, see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/109227

In src/sys/dev/ral/if_ral_pci.c is:

static const struct ral_pci_ident ral_pci_ids[] = {
	{ 0x1814, 0x0201, "Ralink Technology RT2560" },
	{ 0x1814, 0x0301, "Ralink Technology RT2561S" },

And your pciconf:

 chip=0x03011814

This would normally force the card to associate with the
ral driver.  The problem however, which is discussed in a
posting here:

http://www.bsdforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44385

seems to be that the card you have is using a special
"high output" version of the Ralink chipset which takes
different firmware - at least, according to the Linux
driver.  In looking through the BSD driver it seems to be
using the same firmware for all of the cards - perhaps the
driver author figured that all of the Ralink chipsets
used the same interface?  Quite often, manufacturers will
release a slightly improved chip and retain the same
interface - the new chip will have a different pci ID
and many times simply adding the pci ID into the existing
driver will get it to work.  That is what appears to have
been done with this particular driver.  Obviously it's not
correct.

What is likely happening is the wrong microcode is loaded
into the card by the driver and the card doesen't boot up,
thus the FreeBSD driver gets no response to it's initialization
sequence after attachment.

I would suggest you add on to the end of the existing PR.
You might also e-mail the driver maintainer.

The one good thing appears that there's been some activity
on this driver in the 7.X series, see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/117655

I would also try downloading the 7.0 beta and try loading that,
it may work.  Perhaps they fixed the driver there.

Otherwise, get a different card.

Ted