Memory Error using Mailman on FreeBSD. How to debug?

Lachlan Michael lachlan at lkla.org
Wed Feb 6 12:45:43 UTC 2008

> Lachlan Michael wrote:
>
>># su mailman
>>This account is currently not available.
>>
>>I'm not sure about the syntax but limits -U mailman doesn't seem to make
>>the user mailman, but just use the class default.
>>

> su -m mailman
>
> will do what you want.

Ah, thanks! That's a much better way to do it.

The result was unchanged however.

> However, to be sure what your limits are, I
> would stick ulimit -a in the script that starts mailman, just to be
> sure.  If the output from that is reasonable, and it doesn't seem to be
> messing with limits anywhere, then that's probably not the problem.

I start mailman as
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman start

I put ulimit -a in that script, and the values were the same as previous
reported.
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman start
cpu time               (seconds, -t)  unlimited
file size           (512-blocks, -f)  unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d)  524288
stack size              (kbytes, -s)  65536
core file size      (512-blocks, -c)  unlimited
max memory size         (kbytes, -m)  unlimited
locked memory           (kbytes, -l)  unlimited
max user processes              (-u)  5547
open files                      (-n)  11095
virtual mem size        (kbytes, -v)  unlimited
sbsize                   (bytes, -b)  unlimited

> Perhaps it's something about the attachment itself.  Can you try some
> different, similarly sized, attachment?

Different attachments produce the same result.

> How big does the mailman process actually get?  top will tell you.

Mailman values don't budge. None of the mailman processes go over about
8.5M, which is what they are during idle time.

> Python and mailman presumably came from ports?

Yes.

> Last I looked, python
> had a build option HUGE_STACK_SIZE which I've needed for some apps in
> the distant past, IIRC.  Can you re-install python with that opt and see
> if it helps?  (It's just a SWAG, and could be wrong!).

I saw that too, and am currently running with it enabled. It doesn't seem
to make a difference though.

Thanks for all the tips!