Preventing KDE from restarting

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Sat Feb 2 15:22:29 PST 2008

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Mel wrote:

> On Saturday 02 February 2008 00:14:10 Oren Almog wrote:
>> I do have that line but it is disabled (off).
>>
>> Looking at /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc does reveal a few options that
>> can immediately restart a session but they are all either commented out or
>> not set.
>
> killall kdm-bin.
> And next time, start kdm from command line as kdm -nodaemon if you plan on
> disabling it at a future time.
> --
> Mel
This of course does nothing for the next boot.

I assume you are running one of the desktop distributions. Otherwise you have to
make a change to start an X server. We installed PCBSD just to see how they did
things. The version we installed starts kdm from /etc/ttys. The other way would
be to start it from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

Try:  egrep -lr "[xk]dm" .

with pwd = /etc/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/