accessing a networked printer to a FreeBSD box

Mario Lobo mlobo at digiart.art.br
Wed Dec 31 11:51:11 UTC 2008

   Do you have CUPS installed?
   Mario
   -----Mensagem original-----
   De: dhaneshk k
   Enviada em: 31/12/2008 07:46:49
   Assunto: accessing a networked printer to a FreeBSD box
   people,
   I am trying to access a printer from our LAN to my FreeBSD Desktop PC
   which package I needed to do that ? system-config-printer right ?
   NOTE :I am not trying to attach a new printer to FreeBSD just want to
   access an already working printer in our LAN
   installed system-config-printer from ports , but whenever I tried
   to do $system-config-printer , one blank dialog window blinks
   away , the in the tty I am getting this error ..
   [bhagat at storm /usr/home/bhagat]$ system-config-printer
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
   "/usr/local/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py",
   line 5272, in
   main(configure_printer, change_ppd)
   File
   "/usr/local/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py",
   line 5242, in main
   mainwindow = GUI(configure_printer, change_ppd)
   File
   "/usr/local/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py",
   line 333, in __init__
   self.AboutDialog.set_program_name(domain)
   AttributeError: 'gtk.AboutDialog' object has no attribute
   'set_program_name'
   [bhagat at storm /usr/home/bhagat]$
   what
   the exact issue ? what I made wrong , (I dont think I need CUPS to be
   installed as I was not trying to attach a printer to this FreeBSD box)
   .
   Here
   I am attaching the system-config-printer.py file please help me fix
   the
   issue ( OR I have to install any other package than
   system-config-printer ?)
   I thank you all in advance for any hints to fix it out . struggling to
   fix this issue for the last couple of days ..
   Any hints most Welcome
   Dhanesh
   I tried to install gnome-cups-manager too(from ports ) , but
   installation failed as follows
   gnome-cups-manager.c: In function `event_cb':
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: syntax error before "do"
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: syntax error before ')' token
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: `_g_boolean_var_' undeclared (first
   use in this function)
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
   reported only once
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: for each function it appears in.)
   gnome-cups-manager.c:79: error: syntax error before ')' token
   gnome-cups-manager.c:74: warning: unused variable `printer'
   gnome-cups-manager.c: At top level:
   gnome-cups-manager.c:53: warning: 'check_cups' defined but not used
   gnome-cups-manager.c:72: warning: 'event_cb' defined but not used
   gmake[3]: *** [gnome-cups-manager.o] Error 1
   gmake[3]: Leaving directory
   `/usr/ports/print/gnome-cups-manager/work/gnome-cups-manager-0.31/gnom
   e-cups-manager'
   gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
   gmake[2]: Leaving directory
   `/usr/ports/print/gnome-cups-manager/work/gnome-cups-manager-0.31/gnom
   e-cups-manager'
   gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
   gmake[1]: Leaving directory
   `/usr/ports/print/gnome-cups-manager/work/gnome-cups-manager-0.31'
   gmake: *** [all] Error 2
   *** Error code 2
   Stop in /usr/ports/print/gnome-cups-manager.
   [root at storm /usr/ports/print/gnome-cups-manager]#