local copy of handbook

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Mon Dec 29 20:27:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 08:39:42PM +0530, Masoom Shaikh wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2008 18:15:58 RW wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:16:42 +0530
> > "Masoom Shaikh" <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > lso I cud use tarballs from FTP, but is there easy way to install
> >
> > > them ? also csup didn't help here is my csup file
> > >
> > > *default tag=RELENG_7
> > > *default host=ftp2.tw.freebsd.org
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default base=/var/db
> > > *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> > > src-all
> > > doc-all
> > >
> > > csup updates the source each time, but now i am not sure about doc!!
> >
> > If you do it that way, you have to generate the html files yourself,
> > cvup fetches generic data files that can be used to generate html , pdf
> > etc.
> >
> > What I do these days is mirror the online version with wget.
> >

> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > cd /usr/share/doc/en
> >
> > wg_args=" --mirror -np -nH --cut-dirs=2 --limit-rate=33k"
> >
> > bg_flags=""
> >
> > # Run quietly from cron
> > [ ! -t 0 ] && bg_flags=" --quiet "
> >
> > wget $bg_flags $wg_args  "http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/"
>
> that is clever use of wget :)
> but can't docs remain updated with csup ? if yes, how ?
> otherwise I will be happy to generate them from sources if they happen to be
> some simple target

You can keep a local copy of the docs & update the sources for the
docs with csup but you have to regenerate them with a make command
after you have csup'd.

The process is described within this page I just put up:

http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/freebsd_uptodate.html

There maybe some errors there or things I've missed, so apologies for
that in advance. Any questions, just drop me an email.

It's good practice IMO to have a locally updated copy of the handbook.

You always need the handbook when your 'net connection is down ;)

Regards,

--

 Frank