local copy of handbook

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:59:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:39:42 +0530
Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2008 18:15:58 RW wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:16:42 +0530
> > "Masoom Shaikh" <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > lso I cud use tarballs from FTP, but is there easy way to install
> >
> > > them ? also csup didn't help here is my csup file
> > >
> > > *default tag=RELENG_7
> > > *default host=ftp2.tw.freebsd.org
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default base=/var/db
> > > *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> > > src-all
> > > doc-all
> > >
> > > csup updates the source each time, but now i am not sure about doc!!
> >
> > If you do it that way, you have to generate the html files yourself,
> > cvup fetches generic data files that can be used to generate html , pdf
> > etc.
> >
> > What I do these days is mirror the online version with wget.
> >

> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > cd /usr/share/doc/en
> >
> > wg_args=" --mirror -np -nH --cut-dirs=2 --limit-rate=33k"
> >
> > bg_flags=""
> >
> > # Run quietly from cron
> > [ ! -t 0 ] && bg_flags=" --quiet "
> >
> > wget $bg_flags $wg_args  "http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/"
>
> that is clever use of wget :)
> but can't docs remain updated with csup ? if yes, how ?
> otherwise I will be happy to generate them from sources if they happen to be
> some simple target

You might consider using Docsnap.  This allows you to maintain all
the FreeBSD documentation with a minimum of effort.

Docsnap is an rsync repository for easy updating of installed
FreeBSD documentation (/usr/share/doc).

The first run may take longer but subsequent updates take very
little time.  Only the differences in the documents are transferred.
That is the main advantage but you also do not need to install ports
with hefty overhead to build documents.

Rsync is only utility required (/usr/ports/net/rsync). Typical usage:

  # rsync -rltvz docsnap.sk.FreeBSD.org::docsnap /usr/share/doc/

For more information see http://docsnap.sk.freebsd.org/ and possibly
the rsync manual page.

HTH,

Randy