[solved] Re: usb-stick accessible, but doesn't boot

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Sun Dec 21 07:47:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:29:15 +0100 clemens fischer wrote:

> My USB-stick (trekstore, identifies as "USB DISK SMI Corporation") is
> sliced using sade(8), labelled using bsdlabel, accessible using "mount
> /dev/da0s1a /mnt/usb", it has kernel and world, but doesn't boot.

The problem had nothing to do with kernel features or setup, except for
etc/fstab.  I had a what I thought quick&simple md for /var: "md /var
mfs rw,-s100M,noatime 0 0", but this doesn't account for all the preset
stuff in /var needed to run a system.

The current version looks like:

  # /etc/fstab
  #
  /dev/ad6s2b none    swap sw 0 0
  /dev/da0s1a /       ufs  rw,noatime 1 1
  /dev/da0s1g /home   ufs  rw,noatime,noexec 0 0
  /dev/da0s1f /usr    ufs  rw,noatime 0 0
  md          /tmp    mfs     rw,-s24M,noatime 0 0
  md          /var/run        mfs     rw,-s4M,noatime 0 0
  md          /var/log        mfs     rw,-s32M,noatime 0 0
  #
  proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Of course the directory structure had been setup with "make
DESTDIR=/mnt/usb/ufs distrib-dirs distribution".

-c