Publishing information via DNS

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Wed Dec 17 21:04:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 19:07 +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Someone needs to invent and promote a TextualDatagramPublicationProtocol or
> > TDPP because DNS has been abused for publishing non DNS data for too long.
> > Continuing to use DNS for things it was never intended to do will only cloud
> > the issue and delay implementation when the internet decides to take DNS
> > security seriously.
> >
> where do you see security issue of that? except that someone voluntarily
> publish his/her private data this way - but it won't be DNS security
> problem but his/her problem

I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert in this, but as with any
software not used as it should it does get cloudy. Security in DNS is
already an issue with care to be taken in who can see what and how it
gets updated or what not- particularly with slave DNS' involved. I can't
say what security issues it would raise, but I wouldn't be implementing
anything like that myself for the same reasons. I'd stick to hostnames
and maybe services which it was designed for.