Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 15 12:32:36 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 01:06:58PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >   base system: nothing appropriate
> >
> >Maybe what we need isn't for you to keep complaining about 70% of the
> >very helpful list traffic,
>
> helpful for whom?
>
> >thus producing another 5% of the list traffic
> >yourself (directly, and indirectly through annoyed responses to you), but
> >for someone to come up with a base-system at freebsd.org list where you can
> >hang out and be happy.
> >
> seems you actively like this mailing list to become big shit.
> You WELL know what i am talking about, and you just play with words.

Ah -- so now you accuse me of maliciousness.  How much worse can your
"contributions" to this list get?

> Because i AM very much feared about FreeBSD future not being like lots of
> other free software project, i will do everything to take all idiots,
> winusers, "students" that want comparision between different OS in few
> words (because they was required at school), questions about one of
> million of non-freebsd specific software, stupid discussion about
> windoze-like bloatware running under unix etc. etc.
>
> I really don't care about your opinion, just because it's THE ONLY GOOD
> UNIX LEFT IN THE WORLD now!
>
> There was linux many years ago, yes - less functional, but WELL DONE, they
> f...ked it up by quickly adding every stupid features requested.

I still haven't figured out why you think that answering questions about
DNS on FreeBSD or looking for ways to improve driver support would equate
to "adding every stupid features [sic] requested."

> Then i switched to NetBSD, that worked excellent up to 1.5,
> and then got f..ked up even more than linux when started to be sponsored
> by "wasabisystems" and possibly other funny companies. They even changed
> the way versions are numbered to get higher numbers faster ;)

Did it really get screwed up, or did you just decide it *must* be getting
screwed up because development was sponsored?

> Now i'm using FreeBSD and it got better each version.
> Really better, not "better".

A lot of people would disagree with you about the 5.x releases, judging
by what I've read.  By all accounts, though, it got back on track.

I wonder if NetBSD got better again after you left, if it ever got worse
in the first place.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth William Gibson: "The future is already here.  It's just not very