Error Kernel Compiling

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Dec 7 04:51:41 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 12:08:12PM +0100, Federico Cicciarella wrote:

> My Machine i: ASUS P5N-E, Celeron D 440,  1 slot PCI 10\100 Realtek
>

> Configure Kenrel:
>
> machine        i386
> cpu             I686_CPU
> ident           ArrakisKernel
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
> symbols
> options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
> options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
> options         INET                    # InterNETworking
> options         INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
> options         SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission
> Protocol
> options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
> options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
> options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
> directories
> options         UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS
> journaling
> options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
> options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
> PSEUDOFS)
> options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
> options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
> options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP THIS!]
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
> options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
> options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
> options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
> options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores

Probably need: options SYSVSHM

> options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
> extensions
> options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
> options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.
> options         STOP_NMI                # Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
> options         AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
> options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> device          apic                    # I/O APIC
> device          cpufreq
> device          eisa
> device          pci
> device          ata
> device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
> device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
> device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
> device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
> device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
> device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
> device          vga             # VGA video card driver
> device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support
> device          sc
> device          pmtimerport bus (required)

typo above?

> device          re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
> device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
> device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
>
> # USB support
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> device          ugen            # Generic
> device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
> device          ukbd            # Keyboard
> device          ulpt            # Printer
> device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
> device          ums             # Mouse
> device          ural            # Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless NICs
> device          rum             # Ralink Technology RT2501USB wireless NICs
> device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
> device          uscanner        # Scanners
>
> # USB Ethernet, requires miibus

So where's miibus?

> device          aue             # ADMtek USB Ethernet
> device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB Ethernet
> device          cdce            # Generic USB over Ethernet
> device          cue             # CATC USB Ethernet
> device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB Ethernet
> device          rue             # RealTek RTL8150 USB Ethernet
>
> # Pseudo devices.
> device          loop            # Network loopback
> device          random          # Entropy device
> device          ether           # Ethernet support
> device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
> device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
> device          md              # Memory "disks"
> device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
> device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

What you want to do when you build a custom kernel is:

# cp GENERIC MYKERN

and then comment out the bits you don't want. That way you can run a
diff on GENERIC & MYKERN to see the bits you've changed & might be
causing you problems.

I've commented the above config with the problems that jump out at me
but there could be other stuff missing.

You also didn't mention your uname -a

Regards,

--