CARP on VMware ESX

Christian Ullrich chris at chrullrich.net
Fri Dec 5 00:25:07 PST 2008

Hello all,

I'm having trouble getting a CARP setup to work on VMware ESX. The
problem: As soon as I configure the CARP interface, it first goes to
MASTER state, then immediately drops to BACKUP, and stays there.

Right now I have only one VM set up, so the reason is not that there's
an active master in the group.

In the log I get the message

	arp_rtrequest: bad gateway 192.168.93.3 (!AF_LINK)

about once every three or four seconds. Just as often, I see ARP
requests from the above IP, querying for the same address.

I know about VMware and allowing promiscuous mode on the "physical"
interface. But this is where it gets confusing: If I create the CARP
interface while promiscuous mode is _not_ allowed on the interface, it
starts up fine, becomes master, the route entry appears, and everything
looks fine. Once I then allow the interface into promiscuous mode, I can
use it fine.

If promiscuous mode is already permitted on the interface when I start
CARP, I get what I described above: The interface is in BACKUP state,
the route to the CARP interface doesn't show up, and I get both the ARP
requests and the error message continuously.

I appreciate any hints.