G4U inquiry

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Dec 4 13:20:29 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 03:00:09PM -0600, Tyson Boellstorff wrote:

> On Thursday 04 December 2008 14:44:40 Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
>
> > I have a bsd box with a 12 gig drive- I'm going to get a new drive (larger)
> > to replace it as it is quite old and slow -
> >
> > My question is when I clone it with g4u  where will the extra space go

Usually you are much better off creating new [slices and] partitions
with new appropriate sizes, newfs-ing the partitions to turn them in
to filesystems and then copying the previous disk filesystem by filesystem
to the new disk - using dump/restore.    Then you will not be stuck with
geometry mismatches and wasted disk space.     I have posted excruciatingly
detailed instructions for this sort of things about every coupld of months
on this list as other have asked.    A little searching should find one.
If not, I can give a basic rundown.

////jerry