Dual (zaphod) head on Intel i810 does not work for FreeBSD V7.0 Release

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:06:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 17:56 +1000, Ray Newman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under FreeBSD V6.2 Release (X 6.9.0 and i810 1.4.1) with this
> xorg.conf, this log file
> is produced and the dual screen config works.
>

> Under FreeBSD V7.0 Release (X 1.4.0 and i810 1.6.5) with this xorg.conf which is nearly
> identical with the previous one, this log file is produced and the dual screen doesn't work.
>  It seems to get the primary and secondary screens totally confused.
>
> Ray Newman

With X 1.4, use driver intel ( x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel ) and xrandr
to achieve the same effect. This has the benefit of dynamically enabling
or disabling additional heads. The configuration is slightly different,
here is a pertinent snippet from mine for comparison. There is only one
device, screen and monitor specified in the conf.

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Card0"
	Driver		"intel"
	VendorName	"Intel Corporation"
	Option		"DRI" "true"
	BoardName	"Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Card0"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport	0 0
		Depth		32
		Modes		"1400x1050"
		Virtual		2680	1050
	EndSubSection
EndSection

My laptop has an internal 1400x1050 screen, and also a 1280x1024
external screen to its left. It's enabled from my .xinitrc with a
command like 'xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024 --left-of LVDS'.
Apparently due to hardware limitations, if your 'Virtual' is more than
2048x2048 in any dimension, then DRI won't work.

Cheers

Tom