Make World Inside Jail

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Fri Aug 29 04:25:58 UTC 2008

I currently use a separate machine to make world and to make and archive
ports and packages.  I would like to retire that machine and move that
functionality into a jail. I am due to switch to 7.1 from 6.3 soon.

I understand that I cannot run divergent kernels in the jails.

I could still make a 7.1-RELEASE world on a 6.3-RELEASE jail and
installworld into the jail.  That would leave me with a very strange
jail system with a new generation system (binaries / libs / includes /
utils / ports) with an old generation kernel.

The only purpose of the jails is compiling world and installing ports.
The parent system on which the jails reside cannot be made unreliable
due to running the mishmash old/new jails.

I'll need to run NFS servers and telnet servers inside the jails.
Systems on my network would mount the jail's /usr/obj, /usr/src and
/usr/ports via NFS to facilitate installworld and port upgrades.

Can I make this work? Am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,
Jason