_secure_path: cannot stat> /dev/null/.login_conf: Not a directory

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Aug 28 18:13:03 UTC 2008

In the last episode (Aug 28), VeeJay said:
> Hi there
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 7.0 production. After installation, I am getting
> this message when server boots....
>
> Could anybody tell what does it mean and how to fix this error???
>
> _secure_path: cannot stat> /dev/null/.login_conf: Not a directory

Do you maybe have a user account whose home directory is /dev/null ? It
looks like program (su, maybe?) is looking for ~/.login_conf using the
_secure_path() function.  Try changing that home directroy to
/var/empty , which is an empty directory with no write permission
provided for cases when you need one.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com