[ free_bsd_questions ] selecting a cpu heatsink / fan combo [ c ]

spellberg_robert emailrob at emailrob.com
Wed Aug 27 08:16:51 UTC 2008

Chris Whitehouse wrote:

> If you haven't already bought your cpu you could check out how much heat
> different cpu's produce, they vary quite a lot. Lower power = lower heat
> production = less stress on heatsink/fan (and = lower electricity
> costs). Also the overclockers websites and forums usually have opinions
> about heatsinks.
>
> Chris

thank you, chris.

no, i haven't.
i hope to get the cpu order out by friday or mon^H^H^Htuesday.
i spent all day today on [ mostly ] intel's web_site
   pointing, clicking and downloading.

all very true.

i've been looking for such info but intel's web_site isn't too geeky.
i --have-- downloaded new copies of data_sheets, though,
   so, i have some reading to do.
[ this "internet" thing has potential;
     i just don't request data_books from manufacturers, anymore.
]

keeping my electric bill low is high on my list.

it is my understanding that the 65_nm p4 consumes less power than the 90_nm p4.

i am of two minds about the gaming community.
on the one hand, they --do-- push the cpu hard.
it's a form of testing.
so, their opinion is worth something.

on the other hand, i tend to use multiple boxen to split_up the responsibilities,
   so, my boxen tend to be idle, more so than those of most others, and,
   therefore, my environment just isn't the same as that of the gamers.
apples and oranges.

i used to think that overclocking meant 5_% or 10_%.
then, today, i saw one report of a 3200_mhz cpu being clocked at over 8000_mhz !
i have, absolutely, no idea if this is, at all, possible.
i do know that --my-- cpu will clock within 1_% of rating.

almost immediately after the above, this arrived.

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
 >> If you haven't already bought your cpu you could check out how much
 >> heat different cpu's produce, they vary quite a lot. Lower power =
 >> lower heat production = less stress on heatsink/fan (and = lower
 >> electricity costs). Also the overclockers websites and forums usually
 >> have opinions about heatsinks.
 >

 > and of course - make sure then that your motherboard doesn't overclock
 > by default.
 >
 > no, i'm not joking, it's true but it sounds like a joke.

thank you, wojciech.

ok, let me revise and extend my remarks,
   i --think-- it will be within 1_% [ it's a plan, anyway ].

i have --never-- heard of this one.
maybe, it's because i check every mobo setting at installation time ?

are you certain that this isn't propaganda from the joke in redmond ?

please explain.

rob