Again: fsck_ffs memory requirements

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Aug 21 15:15:12 UTC 2008

Hi again!

I had problems running fsck_ffs of FreeBSD 5. In my particular
problem, version 5 seemed to help me more than version 7, which
stopped with this:

	fsck_ffs: bad inode number 306176 to nextinode

Version 5 didn't seem to have this problem, but it did complain:

	fsck_ffs: cannot alloc 1073796864 bytes for inoinfo

So I asked for help and was adviced to enable swap space before
running fsck_ffs in SUM. My main problem seemed to be that I hadn't
enough RAM (512 + 256 MB SRD-SDRAM), exactly 1 GB seemed to be
required.

In the recovery setting, ad0 is a FreeBSD 5 installation and ad2
is a FreeBSD 7 installation with a /home partition holding a dd
image of the defective partition (which's original is on a harddisk
on the shelf for security reasons).

I did the following after successful system startup in SUM:

	# swapon /dev/ad2s1b

	# swapctl -l
	Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
	/dev/ad2s1b     2097152         0

	# mount /dev/ad2s1g /mnt

	# mdconfig -a -u 0 -t vnode -f /mnt/poly/rescue/ad1s1f.dd

	# fsck_ffs -yf /dev/md0
	** /dev/md0
	** Last Mounted on
	** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
	1035979 BAD I=259127
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	[...]

	9187201950452580480 BAD I=262821
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	9114861777597661055 BAD I=262821
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS I=262821
	CONTINUE? yes

	1779904 DUP I=262822
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	1779905 DUP I=262822
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	[...]

	4007775 DUP I=262845
	UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

	fsck_ffs: cannot alloc 1073796864 bytes for inoinfo

	#

So I examined /usr/src/sbin/fsck_ffs/pass1.c and found out
that a calloc() call caused the error; 1 GB was needed, but
2 GB were present in swap. Not enough?

Any suggestions what I could do to help fsck_ffs calloc()ing
the needed memory?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany