kde troubles....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Aug 20 22:17:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:26:46PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:17:25 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> > > For me, it was July 2nd. The data is still there, but I can't
> > > access it because the inode at the entry to my home directory
> > > has died, and fsck_ffs says stupid things. :-)
> >
> > 	Can you connect with your network in any way?  A couple years ago
> > 	I had an "Oh no" situation where I figured everything was lost,
> > 	but by booting single-user a network wizard somewhere nearby came
> > 	by and moved /home, /etc/ and /usr/local/etc to my Ubuntu
> > 	computer.  It was voodoo to me.  Still is.  Suggest to hang on to
> > 	your drive and see if there is some net-wizard nearby you.
>
> What is a "net-wizard"? Terminology not clear to me...

	Sorry; my own made-up tern for someone who excels at computer
	networking.  Such a person who be able to figure out any
	networking problems very quickly.

> I have
> put the original defective harddisk aside and I'm toying around
> (sadly, it isn't more than that) with a dd image of the partition.
> Some time ago, I setup a FreeBSD 7 system on another harddisk
> which I am using right now. So I don't have general problems,
> it's just... all my data (programming, photography) is lost. :-(

	If your original disk is in one piece, your data is there.
	When I was running v 5.4 some years ago FBSD suddenly hit a
	kernel panic.  I was able to use another local server to ask for
	help and a network and/or kernel guy drove over, use ifconfig
	with a series of flags and free addresses on my 10.0.0.1 network
	to create a route to another server.  This, of course, in
	single-user mode.  Then he and I tarballed ans sent several
	dozens of megs to another server.  How?  I have absolutely no
	clue.  I had to reinstall everything from my CD set and upgrade.
	Then moved my saved data back over.

	If your original drive is defective, it is time to get your data
	off and onto another drive.  dd is a good move, if it works.  Do
	you see any data transfered?  If the disk is dead, then it
	probably means calling a data-recovery expert.

> > 	Sometimes when I have many instantiations of kde-gnash going I
> > 	grind to a crawl, then to a near halt.  This is with 7.0.  I
> > 	didn't see that with 6.x.
>
> I'm just using plain Opera, no "Flash" stuff at all. I can
> open up eBay and middle-click some articles. Load goes up
> to 100% and Opera is inresponsive, up to the point when all
> pages have been loaded completely.

	Have you used other browsers?  lynx or links (in graphics mode)?

> > 	 Have you posted to the kernel hackers?  Can you borrow someone's
> > 	 fast[er] hardware and duplicate your configuration?
>
> No, I don't have access to newer x86 stuff, only older stuff
> that runs faster (!) as I had mentioned.
>
> I cannot image this to be a kernel issue. I never had such
> problems from FreeBSD 4 up to 6. Maybe it's really... that
> my hardware is too old...

	I seriously doubt that, since I have 7.0 running on my mail, DNS
	, and web server.  But no X11.

> > 	Unreal!  My first thought would be to check out your faster
> > 	2.0GHz hardware.  I've got a CD that tests drives and said my two
> > 	drives on the Dell (2.4GHz) were okay.
>
> I cannot image this to be a drive problem (see the same stuff
> done on the same hardware, just with different FreeBSD versions);
> I know gcc does optimization, and that I can't compare FreeBSD 5
> to FreeBSD 7. It's just magnitudes of time consumtion that do
> really irritate me. But I don't mind. Runs at night, next day it's
> done.
>
> The make times _were_ of the 2 GHz P4 machine. It compiles FreeBSD 7
> as fast as the 300 MHz P3 did with FreeBSD 5.

	This is beyond wierd.  What happens if you go back to 6.x?
	And use the default optimization...??

> But as an explaination for better understanding: I'm not the guy
> who compiles his applications day by day. I setup a system, buildworld
> and buildkernel with KERNCONF, then install all stuff via pkg_add -r
> and just compile mplayer (because of flags to be set at compile
> time); after this, I _never_ touch the system anymore. (Exception:
> Servers I do maintain get their neccessary security updates, for
> example for system, SSH, Apache or MySQL; portupgrade is my tool
> of choice there.)

	Yeah, pretty much the same with me

> >  Is there any kind of
> > 	DOS/Win tool to check the microprocessor?
>
> I don't know such tools. "make buildworld" usually is my choice to
> see if a system is okay, and memtest live CD. I'm not sure if my
> hardware is still "Windows" compatible because I've got no "Windows"
> around.

	You are Win compat if you're using x86.  memtest86 is good for
	testing your memory.  Over on some drive sales places you'll find
	free disk tester.  [[I think.]]  Else, check the DOS/Win websites
	for downloadable CD stuff.

> > It can't be fans
> > 	completely, but how many do you have.
>
> No, can't, fans run fine, xmbmon shows normal values.

	Great!  I had an Emachine for 7 years that kepy overheating;
	power supply kept burning out.  a 3rd (used) fan bought me 6
	months, :-)

> I should buy a new computer, shouldn't I? =^_^=

	New? no because 5 minutes later it's out of date.  Look for a
	new-ish used model.  Used boxen are soooooooooo cheap, it just
	makes sence.  Buy the extended warantee, then test it for several
	weeks/months at extremely heavy loads.  It it hasn't broken after
	THAT "burn-in", you've got a winner.

> > My 1998 Kayaks have three
> > 	fans keeping the 400MHz uproc cool.
>
> Same here, too, three fans.

	:-)

> > 	Your data makes no sense whatsoever!!
>
> I'd like to try out what happens when I do install FreeBSD 5 again.
> In fact, I put in a FreeBSD 5 hard disk and... wow... how fast!

	What happens with FBSD 6.x?   FWIW, 5 or 6 can serve just fine,
	AFAIC.  I think the main reason for v 7 was for the dual/quad
	processors ... that's only a Guess, People, so no flames, please.
	At any rate, the FreeBSD philosophy used to be: if version x
	works fine, there is no reason to move to version x+1.

> > > I would never try this. StarOffice and OpenOffice 1 had precompiled
> > > packages for use with pkg_add -r, but this was years ago.
> >

> > 	I'm running 2.4 (I think), I only use the word-processor, and
> > 	it's fine.  ... .
>
> That's what I have LaTeX for. :-) But I have to admit that I
> did use StarOffice for some purposes, and it was a nice program.
>

> > 	Please do keep me and the rest of the list up to date regarding
> > 	your hardware problems.
>
> I hope I can find out some informations with a bit mor substance
> in order to formulate better questions that lead me to some
> advice that will change the situation.
>
> And I repeat: The maketime values are for real!

	I believe you, but they were just *strange*.

	-g