7-stable packages on 7.0-release system?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Aug 9 16:06:51 UTC 2008

On Aug 9, 2008, at 8:06 AM, Torgeir Hoffmann wrote:
> Are packages for 7-stable mostly binary compatible with 7.0-release?
> Or
> should I just upgrade to 7-stable? Can 7-stable be trusted to run
> smoothly
> in most cases? I saw in one thread on the freebsd-stable list that
> 7-stable was more like current, only a bit "cleaner".

FreeBSD tries to avoid making incompatible changes to userland API
once a major version is released, and exceptions to that are generally
documented in /usr/src/UPDATING & /usr/ports/UPDATING.  You shouldn't
have any problems running 7-stable packages on a 7.0-R system, at
least for the present.  Eventually, packages will end up being built
with newly added functionality, and will fail to run if it isn't
there, but it will be a while before you are likely to experience a
problem.

If you have concerns about following 7-STABLE, you might consider
following the security branch (aka RELENG_7_0) instead, or even using
the binary update mechanism Colin Percival wrote...

Regards,
--
-Chuck