Free wireless network (access point, router, transparent HTTP proxy setup)

Matthias Apitz matthias.apitz at oclc.org
Sat Aug 9 14:24:15 UTC 2008

El día Saturday, August 09, 2008 a las 04:33:37PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas escribió:

> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:54:04 +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc> wrote:
> > Hello, fellow FreeBSD-ers!
> >
> > I'd like to a good neighbor and share my DSL line and set up an
> > unencrypted free wireless access point. I often find myself wanting
> > more free access points around the city, so I thought I'd stand up
> > as a good example for others :-)
> >
> > I want people to know that they can use the network (easy, use ssid
> > "free internet"), but I want them to know that they should be nice,
> > and it's meant for casual browsing, and that misuse will cause a ban.
> >
> > So, what I'd like:
> >
> > 1) Setup a wireless network card in infrastructure mode, I think.
> > 2) Setup a DHCP server and DNS forwarder on this interface
> > 3) Setup routing from one interface to my other network
> > 4) Use a firewall to close down lots of stuff, maybe also limit
> > bandwith per mac-address, and a way to deny access to certain NICs.
> > 5) Insert a message in all text/html over HTTP, basically saying:
> > "Hi, guest! Feel free to use our free internet, but be nice!" And a
> > close-button, which I guess needs to send a POST to a http server as
> > well, and that I need to record this action in a database, and use
> > the same database to dynamically insert the message above or not.
>
> This sounds like too much work for a doubtful amount of gain.  It is
> probably a lot easier to use ipfw or pf+altq to rate limit the bandwidth
> "others" can use :)

To the OP: Be aware that depending on the local laws you might (will) be
responsible if the NATed IP is used in criminal affairs (downloads,
child porno, etc.); at least the local authorities will ask you who used
that IP and take your complete system with them for further
investigations, scanning your logs and disks;

even if it is a nice idea and you have good neighbors, I would not do
that here in Germany;

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz