Questions about healthd and mprime

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Thu Aug 7 20:38:14 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Problem is: documentation of healthd's output is almost non-existant.
> OK, so when it prints those three temperature numbers, which one stands
> for what?  And if, as I surmize, the last (and highest) one is CPU
> temp, then why doesn't it seem to change at all?  I'm guessing that
> I just need to create some artificial load, yes?

Try sysutils/k8temp. When run with -n, it only prints the CPU's temperature.
Together with rrdtool it makes a nice graph:
http://lux.student.utwente.nl/~pyotr/stats/graphs/temperature-all-168.png

For Intel Core CPU's there's coretemp(4).

> OK, so _now_ I've looked around and found out that a lot of folks
> these days heat up their CPUs by running the "mprime" thingy.  Swell.
> But I don't know diddly poo about this program.  So can somebody please
> tell me the set of "best" command line options for the thing if your
> only goal is to stress your CPU?

I don't know about mprime, but running "make -j4 buildworld" in /usr/src will
make your CPU sweat.

--
Pieter de Goeje