gemeral questions (noobish)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Aug 4 23:53:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:49:23 +0200, mcassar <marshc187 at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks alot for that.
>
> i mean, apart from your general overview of freebsd (system, project
> and community), which gives me an idea how things are done, what's
> happeniing and where things are, you really put me at ease with trying
> to figure out these warnings, or at least what to expect and where to
> start - i wasn't sure if it was up to my setup or what.
>
> although i don't know if you misunderstood my saying *fix them* as in
> i should setup my system properly, or as in get to bug-tracing and the
> like; which is still out of my expertise and jurisdiction.

Well, I don't want you to overload your mind with so many new things
that BSD will seem a fearsome thing.  Let me just say that "If you see
compiler warnings when you build Ports from their sources, it is okay".

Now, if you *do* find interesting things while installing ports, and if
you feel inclined to help, you are welcome to jump in and help.  Maybe
not during the first few weeks, may be not even during the first couple
of years.  Just keep in mind that if you start thinking about things
like "OMG, why isn't option this tunable like _this_?" and you have
ideas about improving FreeBSD, the team behind it is always open to new
ideas, comments, suggestions or even simple reports like "I did A, B and
then C, but program D crashed with the error message E" :-)

> or was that wishfull thinking? it is something i want to figure out
> eventually, but at the moment i'm still so fascinated by everything
> (system, community) that i'm trying to catch up on as much as i can.

Hehe, that's understandable.

Keep having fun,
Giorgos