Firewalls

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Apr 28 01:14:21 UTC 2008

FreeBSD supports 3 firewalls:  IPF, IPFW, and PF.  Some time ago
(perhaps years) I seem to recall some discussion that one or more of
those was better maintained and higher quality than the others.  I
don't see any indications of this in the handbook.  Several years ago
I needed to do traffic shaping and used IPFW with dummynet.  It worked
but the need eventually went away.  More recently I needed to
incorporate spamd which defaults to PF so I used that.  However, now I
am back to needing traffic shaping again.  I suspect trying to use
both PF and IPFW simultaneously will not be a good approach.  In
addition, there now are instructions for using spamd with IPFW so it
appears that either PF or IPFW will do what I need.  Is there any
additional information available to assist in selecting between
those?  Thanks.