wine: notepad OK, others not

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Tue Apr 22 10:52:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 06:00:40 perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>>> ... If you want to run applications under Wine either install
>>> them under Wine or (with simple applications) copy them over
>>> from a Windows install into ~/.wine/drive_c.
>>
>> And specifically I'd populate  ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
>> from a real windows installation.
>
> Which raises the question:  how does one figure out what-all
> pieces of a real windows installation should and should not be
> copied (or symlinked) into ~/.wine/drive_c?  So far it looks
> as if some (but surely not all) .exe's and .dll's, and (all?)
> fonts, should be imported.

And then you're forgetting all the bits in the register.
It's really easier to try to install an app under Wine and then
when you run it, see if there are any missing dlls or missing
functionality in Wine built-in dlls (err and fixme messages).
Then you can copy those from Windows. You also might want to
have a look at http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks for a script
that can install and setup various packages, also fonts.