Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Tue Apr 22 07:50:12 UTC 2008

On Tue 2008-04-22 07:40:38 UTC+1000, andrew clarke (mail at ozzmosis.com) wrote:

> I have serveral FreeBSD machines on my home network and was wondering
> why Portsnap failed to find any mirrors on some but not others.  I had
> a look at the /usr/sbin/portsnap script to find out what it is doing.
> The command it calls to search for mirrors is:
>
> host -t srv _http._tcp.portsnap.freebsd.org
>
> resulting in:

> After a bit of investigating it turns out that on the machines where
> it failed, /etc/resolv.conf was configured to use my D-Link DSL-504T
> ADSL modem/router's internal nameserver for DNS lookups.  Changing
> resolv.conf to instead point directly at my ISP's nameservers solved
> the problem.

Just a short update to this.  The DSL-504T runs embedded Linux, using
dproxy as a caching name server.  So it would as though dproxy does
not support SRV record lookups.

Interestingly, dproxy isn't in the FreeBSD Ports tree.

http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=1&Sub2=2&PID=49
http://dproxy.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record