Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... none found.

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Mon Apr 21 21:40:44 UTC 2008

I have serveral FreeBSD machines on my home network and was wondering
why Portsnap failed to find any mirrors on some but not others.  I had
a look at the /usr/sbin/portsnap script to find out what it is doing.
The command it calls to search for mirrors is:

host -t srv _http._tcp.portsnap.freebsd.org

resulting in:

After a bit of investigating it turns out that on the machines where
it failed, /etc/resolv.conf was configured to use my D-Link DSL-504T
ADSL modem/router's internal nameserver for DNS lookups.  Changing
resolv.conf to instead point directly at my ISP's nameservers solved
the problem.