New to FreeBSD issues with multicast DNS.

Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:01:41 UTC 2008

    Joe> Hi All,

    Joe> I'm new to FreeBSD, but I am running into an issue I can't seem to solve
    Joe> after a few days.

    Joe> I have a FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 set up. I installed mt-daapd/avahi from ports.
    Joe> For some reason, I can see the share on the fileserver but not on the
    Joe> network. Its like everything just stops when it get to the em0 (interface
    Joe> plugged into the switch).

    Joe> I can browse multicast dns locally as seen below

    Joe> [root at freebsd /usr/ports]# avahi-browse _daap._tcp
    Joe> + em0 IPv4 freebsd _daap._tcp local

I didn't use Mac. I've a FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64) + Ubuntu Linux
8.04 (development/amd64) network at my place.

How about doing host name resolution over mDNS using
avahi-resolve-host-name or similar utility in your Mac ? Also, start a
tcpdump on em0 at FreeBSD end, to see if it receives any mDNS request ?

It also works, when any Windows box running Bonjour service, joins the
network.

[snip]

    Joe> mbp:~ jdunn$ mDNS -B _daap._tcp
    Joe> Browsing for _daap._tcp
    Joe> Talking to DNS SD Daemon at Mach port 4099

    Joe> If i have itunes running on either of my macs it shows up during this
    Joe> request.

Does you iTunes also show up on FreeBSD end, hmm..?

HTH
--
Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल                      http://wahjava.wordpress.com/