New to FreeBSD issues with multicast DNS.

Joe Dunn me at joedunn.com
Fri Apr 18 03:26:20 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm new to FreeBSD, but I am running into an issue I can't seem to solve
after a few days.

I have a FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 set up. I installed mt-daapd/avahi from ports.
For some reason, I can see the share on the fileserver but not on the
network. Its like everything just stops when it get to the em0 (interface
plugged into the switch).

I can browse multicast dns locally as seen below

[root at freebsd /usr/ports]# avahi-browse _daap._tcp
+ em0 IPv4 freebsd _daap._tcp local

My network card has mulitcast

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

I did add a mulitcast route

route add -net 224.0.0.0 -iface em0

I have since taken it off since it didn't do anything

And when i tcpdump and check the dump I see mulitcast broadcasts being sent
out

20:42:00.085459 IP freebsd.mdns > 224.0.0.251.mdns: 0 [2a] PTR (QM)?
_daap._tcp.local. (96)

Both mt-daapd/avahi are running.

When i browse on my network from my macbookpro I never see the daapd share

mbp:~ jdunn$ mDNS -B _daap._tcp
Browsing for _daap._tcp
Talking to DNS SD Daemon at Mach port 4099

If i have itunes running on either of my macs it shows up during this
request.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could have messed up?

Thanks for any help

Joe