Avermedia 507 TV

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Apr 17 11:34:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 00:15 +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008 04:36:26 Da Rock wrote:

> > > I suspect your tuner (terratec?)  is not amongst the supported ones.
> >
> > Both are Avermedia actually as posted, and yes they're only marginally
> > supported. So far only the analogue works (possibly).
>
> Avermedia is not a type or brand of tuner. They're a HW company that assemble
> certain cards/sticks from parts such as tuners, decoders etc.
>

> > That saa driver- I thought there was a problem with the site, but I had
>
> Saa driver is still available from purpe.com, but only from a direct download
> link (there's no page anymore):
>
> http://download.purpe.com/files/saa-REL_14.tgz
>
> > no idea it could be downloaded with kbtv. I thought it was only compiled
> > with support for the driver, not the driver itself.
>
> kbtv1 includes it also, for convenience, and because its needed for the saa
> backend anyway (well, some header).
>
> The saa driver only covers video and audio (I only use "shunted" audio with
> kbtv, not real audio capture). Tuner support is all userspace (directly via
> iic device). The generic tuner support that comes with the driver (as example
> sort of) seems to indicate that this is for a class of tuners that has three
> fixed bands and must be set to switch between it (as in Philips reference
> design). TDA and MKn init require some extra iic babble.
>
> Modern silicon tuners work differently and have quite different registers that
> need to be set for tuning.

You'll have to excuse me presumption here (I'll normally read all
messages before adding to a thread), but you sound like a very good
source of info here. May I ask you if you can supply some references to
what you're posting here? I'd like to investigate this much further...

Also, I thought I read somewhere that firmware is used in most tuners.
Plus I found the linux drivers use firmware to make this work. Just a
thought.