Avermedia 507 TV

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Apr 16 23:11:30 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 04:36:26 Da Rock wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 01:30 +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:

> > > saa_driver included in kbtv distrib, and can be found in inet, driver
> > > homepage is broken. I-m install it from port kbtv, the nessasary
> > > bsd-patche within distrib tarball
> >
> > I suspect your tuner (terratec?)  is not amongst the supported ones.
>
> Both are Avermedia actually as posted, and yes they're only marginally
> supported. So far only the analogue works (possibly).

Avermedia is not a type or brand of tuner. They're a HW company that assemble
certain cards/sticks from parts such as tuners, decoders etc.

> That saa driver- I thought there was a problem with the site, but I had

Saa driver is still available from purpe.com, but only from a direct download
link (there's no page anymore):

http://download.purpe.com/files/saa-REL_14.tgz

> no idea it could be downloaded with kbtv. I thought it was only compiled
> with support for the driver, not the driver itself.

kbtv1 includes it also, for convenience, and because its needed for the saa
backend anyway (well, some header).

The saa driver only covers video and audio (I only use "shunted" audio with
kbtv, not real audio capture). Tuner support is all userspace (directly via
iic device). The generic tuner support that comes with the driver (as example
sort of) seems to indicate that this is for a class of tuners that has three
fixed bands and must be set to switch between it (as in Philips reference
design). TDA and MKn init require some extra iic babble.

Modern silicon tuners work differently and have quite different registers that
need to be set for tuning.

HTH,

Dan