some pam problem?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Apr 2 02:40:24 UTC 2008

In the last episode (Apr 01), Chuck Robey said:

> I can't figure out what this message below means to me:
>
> Mar 31 17:12:02 april sshd[26150]: in openpam_dispatch(): pam_nologin.so: no pam_sm_authenticate()
>
> I have guessed it meant I had something wrong with my login.access,
> but I wasn't able to find anything that looked odd to me.  Anyone
> know what this message above might mean?

Is this an old machine that has been upgraded?  From /usr/src/UPDATING:

20070610:
        The pam_nologin(8) module ceases to provide an authentication
        function and starts providing an account management function.
        Consequent changes to /etc/pam.d should be brought in using
        mergemaster(8).  Third-party files in /usr/local/etc/pam.d may
        need manual editing as follows.  Locate this line (or similar):

                auth    required        pam_nologin.so  no_warn

        and change it according to this example:

                account required        pam_nologin.so  no_warn

        That is, the first word needs to be changed from "auth" to
        "account".  The new line can be moved to the account section
        within the file for clarity.  Not updating pam.conf(5) files
        will result in nologin(5) ignored by the respective services.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com