Getting vim to work correctly.

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 28 07:42:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:45:13PM +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> Keep in mind that nvi is a different program. Why don't you
> install Vim?

That's my immediate recommendation, too.  Another recommendation I might
make is to use vi the way it was intended: keep your fingers on home row,
and when you want to do something like page up or page down, use the
command mode keys that correspond with the desired action.

For instance, ^B will page up, and typing a number first will cause it to
page up that many times.  ^F does the same thing, but pages down instead.
^U and ^D move up and down, respectively, a number of lines determined by
the editor's "scroll" option (usually half a visible page in Vim,
measured in screen lines rather than file lines as it would be measured
in vi).

I, personally, like Vim.  It's what I use.  I also try to use it the way
vi is best used, because the benefits apply just as much to Vim.
Specifically, except when actually entering entirely new text, I stay in
command mode.  Editing and moving around in a document is much, much
faster for me when I can do it all from the home row of the keyboard.

McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your
time waving your hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do."