Getting vim to work correctly.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Sep 28 03:59:10 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-28 13:45, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at teledomenet.gr> wrote:
>On Friday 28 September 2007 11:56, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>> When in insert mode, and pagedown is pressed, the letter the cursor is
>>> over is capitalized, and the editor is removed from insert mode, as an
>>> example.
>>>
>>> PageUp capitalizes the letter next to it, and again removes me from
>>> insert mode.
>>>
>>> Home randomly capitalizes letters and shifts the cursor to the next
>>> letter.
>>>
>>> Insert decapitalizes the letter the cursor is over.
>>>
>>> Weird behavior like this...
>
> Nothing weird, same here with every terminal I have installed(xterm,
> Eterm & konsole). You should instal Vim if you want the old behaviour.

Indeed.  After Nikos' post I reread the original.  Jay, what you are
describing is:

    When in insert mode, and pagedown is pressed, the letter the
    cursor is over is capitalized, and the editor is removed from
    insert mode, as an example.

This is expected behavior if you are using /usr/bin/vi.

> Keep in mind that nvi is a different program.  Why don't you
> install Vim?

Indeed, if vim's behavior is desired, then it may be a good idea to
install vim.  I usually keep around an installation of editors/vim-lite
for those rare occassions that I have managed to break my local Emacs
installation beyond repair :-)