Dell Servers and FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Sep 26 10:30:06 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:18:49PM -0400, Tim Kellers wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of the newer
> Dell servers (2900, 2950 for example) and FreeBSD 6.2 in a production
> environment?
>
> My old Dell 2400 hardware is quickly expiring and I need to replace it
> with something that will support FreeBSD 6.2 and have enough horsepower
> to host a substantial (50 or so) number of concurrent Moodle logins.
> The database (pgsql) is already on another server so I won't be chewing
> up server resources by hosting a database, too.

I have put FreeBSD (6.2 I think) on 2950-s.   It worked fine.
The only problem was some confusion about the raid driver identifier.
I needed to do some rummaging through dmesg and it was not at first
obvious as it was a little unnoticed line amidst lots of others that
looked more likely.   But, I found it and had no problems after that.

Unfortunately I had to give those machines up to another project and
can't look and see what it was now.

////jerry